Aquatic Biosecurity Pty Ltd
Aquatic Biosecurity was started in November 2014 as a unique aquatic focused business. Aquatic Biosecurity provides its clients with a streamlined service delivery because we have the broadest range of aquatic skills, qualifications and experience in Australia within the one organization.
- Marine Surveying (Engineering, vessel safety and insurance)
- Marine Science
- Freshwater Science
- Fisheries Science
- Aquatic Animal Health and Biosecurity Auditing
- Commercial Scuba Diving
- Industry Representation, Consultation and Advocacy
- Water Quality
- Fish and Plankton Identification
- Ballast Water, Biofouling and In-Water Cleaning
About the Aquatic Biosecurity Logo
The logo can be interpreted as a Japanese seastar or a propeller. It identifies the business with the commonality between the effects on aquatic environments through anthropologic forces such as shipping and vessels. An example of this is the introduced Japanese seastar Asterias amurensis which has caused considerable damage to marine environments in Australia and was introduced through commercial shipping ballast water or biofouling. With this in mind, the core values of Aquatic Biosecurity are that aquatic industries should be supported and encouraged to have minimal impact on the environment whilst still being profitable and safe. We can help businesses achieve any ethical aquatic outcome.
About the Managing Director
Dr Michael Sierp is an educated technical expert with leadership experience that has helped to positively shape Australia's aquatic landscape. His qualifications and experience cover a multitude of criteria including vessel engineering, seafaring, and aquatic science. As the Chair of the Australian Government's Marine Pest Sectorial Committee (MPSC), a member of the National Biosecurity Committee (NBC) and Chair of 11 National Government subcommittees he completed many projects to drive reform of the national agenda for Biofouling and Ballast Water from aquatic industries via the National System for the Prevention and Management of Marine Pest Incursions (www.marinepests.gov.au). He was awarded the Innovation within Biosecurity SA award in 2012 for his work leading the development of the Australian Testing Centre for Marine Pests (ATCMP), The world's first National qPCR-DNA marine pest identification clearance facility at SARDI Aquatic Sciences. In 2010 he was awarded the Service to the Community Award form PIRSA Biosecurity for successfully managing the clearance of over 200km of feral pacific oysters across South Australia's coastline. He is currently the elected SA State Member on the council for the Australasian Institute of Marine Surveyors (AIMS) and a Board Director on RecFish SA representing the state's 277,000 recreational fishers. Dr Sierp is a scientist, Australian Marine Safety Authority (AMSA) Marine Surveyor, AIMS Accredited Marine Surveyor, and Australian Divers Accreditation Scheme (ADAS) Commercial Diver, Click here to see Dr Michael Sierp's Linked in page
Small to large and difficult projects achieved with a maximum of confidence and contingency
Key Projects for 2015/2016
- Drafted the Maritime Industry Australia Limited (MIAL) submission to the federal government on the Biosecurity Act 2015.
- Arranged consultation for the Marine Arrivals Reporting System (MARS) between Government and Industry for MIAL.
- Drafted 3 successful applications to the State Government for RecFish SA to stock 24,000 native fish in SA Reservoirs.
- Successfully carried out fish health testing and a biosecurity audit on TAFE-SA's Urbrae Aquaculture Facility for Recfish SA.
- Managed the stocking of the Warren Reservoir's Silver Perch and a member of the stocking team for the Baroota Reservoir.
- Gained successful Australian Marine Safety Authority (AMSA) accreditation as an Accredited Marine Surveyor (Maritime engineering and vessel safety).
- Drafted South Australia's first successful Trout stocking applications for Bundaleer reservoir in SA.
- Conducted a range of periodic AMSA Domestic Commercial Vessel, Pre-purchase, Condition and Insurance Surveys in SA.